The Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems CRC has announced a new annual Summer Internship program based in Hobart, commencing in 2015/16.
Two internships will be offered each year, providing students with the opportunity to undertake an 8-12 week project alongside some of the world’s leading scientists. The projects will be focused on Antarctic and Southern Ocean research and will be available on a competitive basis to undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in Antarctic and/or marine science. The two projects available in 2015/16 are listed below and will be based at the ACE CRC in Hobart, in the University of Tasmania Waterfront Building.
This is an exciting opportunity for high-achieving undergraduates to gain real experience alongside leading scientists working on important global climate questions. Under the supervision of ACE CRC Project Leaders, interns will have the opportunity to attend seminars, planning meetings, and gain experience working in a supportive, collegiate research environment. Upon completion of their internship, students will be required to write a report and deliver a talk about their work .
Interns will receive a stipend of $700 per week. The ACE CRC will also cover airfare costs to Hobart for successful interstate applicants, but will not cover any additional relocation costs.
• Interns are required to be enrolled at an Australian university.
• Interns must have completed at least three years of an undergraduate program, with an aspiration to go on to study Honours. Exceptional candidates may be considered after 2 years of under-graduate study.
• Interns must have a minimum “Credit” average, with an emphasis on high grades in subjects of relevance to the project.
Details of the two projects on offer for our 2015-16 Summer Internship program are below. Please note that students wishing to apply for both projects must fill out separate separate application forms, which can be downloaded via the links provided. Only one internship project will be awarded to any single applicant.
The deadline for applications is 5:00pm, Friday 09 October 2015.
Project 1: Using finite element modelling techniques to assess the distribution of stresses within samples used in laboratory ice-deformation experiments
Project 2: Ventilation of Law Dome over the 20th Century
• The ACE CRC will offer two Intern positions each summer.
• Each intern position will be between 8 and 12 weeks, depending on the project requirements and the availability of the student.
• Interns will be paid a stipend of $700/week and will be covered by University of Tasmania person accident policy and liabilities protection policy; however they will not be employed by the university and will not accrue any entitlements such as leave or superannuation.
• Appointments will be competitive, requiring a written application and, if necessary, an interview.
• Internships will be available nationally; a successful interstate applicant will have a return economy airfare paid, but no other relocation expenses.
• International applications will not be accepted.
• Projects will commence in early December and conclude by the end of February.
• Interns will not be eligible to go to sea or to Antarctica.
• Interns are expected to work normal business hours at the ACE CRC for the duration of their project.